There are rare instances when an accidental fall or blow to the face can carry such tremendous force that it severely cracks or shatters a tooth. Sometimes the trauma can be so severe that our dentist’s only course of treatment is to extract the tooth from the socket. This will effectively treat the pain and prevent further complications. There are many things that can cause a tooth to break.
• If you chew on hard objects such as ice, hard candy, or hard nuts you can fracture a tooth.
• A blow to the mouth can crack a tooth.
• If tooth enamel is exposed to temperature extremes, your tooth can crack. So if you are eating hot soup, don’t be tempted to sip ice water with it.
• Your teeth can crack if you persistently grind or clench your teeth (also known as bruxism).
• To repair a cracked tooth our dentist will first examine the tooth to determine proper treatment. If the tooth has minor cracks, bonding with a tooth-colored composite resin or dental filling may be all that will be needed. However, if the damage is severe, or affecting the tooth pulp, the tooth may require further treatment.
To learn more about your options for repairing a cracked broken tooth, please contact Dr. Susanne Baaqee at Classic Smiles in Ocoee, Florida today!