Do you wish there was a way to know if your child needs orthodontics in advance? Well, we’re thrilled to tell you that there is! The American Dental Association and the American Association of Orthodontists strongly recommend that you bring your child in for their first orthodontic appointment by the time they are 7 years old.
If you bring your child into our office at an early age, you will have the chance to plan for your child’s orthodontic future. This will also give you peace of mind because your orthodontist will happily recommend treatment or let you know that your child’s smile is on the correct growing path.
Now, if your child does indeed need treatment, they will likely receive their braces between the ages of 9 and 14 years old, depending on the dental problems. It is strongly recommended that your child corrects their dental problems while their smile is still growing. If they do so, the treatment has the potential to be fast and successful. If your child waits to receive treatment after their smile has stopped growing, the treatment will still be successful but it will take longer and it might require more extensive work.
If you bring your child into our office at an early age, the following can be possible:
• The orthodontist will be able to provide a better prognosis for how the permanent teeth will develop.
• Your child will be able to correct any habits that might cause development problems in the future, like thumb sucking or tongue thrusting.
• The orthodontist can correct bite problems, like open, deep, over, or under bites.
• Your child will reduce the risk of damaging any teeth that will eventually grow in.
• The orthodontist can improve your child’s appearance.
• The treatment can create a more attractive and functional arrangement of the teeth, lips, and face.
• The orthodontist can eliminate more invasive dental corrections in the future.
• Your child will have increased self-esteem and confidence in themselves.
Call our office today if you would like to schedule an appointment for your child! We are here for you and your child, and we are more than happy to help your child grow into the smile of their dreams!